Re: SATA Raid 5 recommendation?

Chris Barnes wrote:
Paul Crossman <pcrossma@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

WOW, that's a lot of TV!!!  4x200GB @ RAID5 = 600GB.

I've been talking with a local system integrator about doing SATA
Raid 5 with Linux (Red Hat Enterprise to be specific), and they are
not recommending the promise controllers for Linux.

They are recommending the 3ware 4 or 8 drive controller for my
specific needs.

I'll second this. I've used Promise controllers in the past and have never had much success with them. We have a new 3ware 8 drive controller and am about to put it into production (for users to backup their office machines to). We'll see how well that works.

I'll third that. 3ware also has great support. Promise wanted me to sign a non-disclosure to get my hands on the source code to compile my own drivers for FC2.....umm...what?!?!? That will likely be the last time I work with Promise. 3ware was great to work with.

my 2 cents....  YMMV

--
Eucke