Re: Experiences with Mail servers

On Dec 5, 2004, at 10:21 AM, Chris Mason wrote:

There is no reason why the average colocated server (dual Xeon exceeds my
definition of such) shouldn't be able to handle that load.

We have our own datacenter.

I was emphasizing that your existing server should be sufficient for your load requirements.

What kind of testing have you done?  What size are you "large mail
folders"?
One user has 4GB of data, each folder can be 30-100 MB.

What kind of testing have you done? I would suggest formulating a test plan and then execute on it. First, create a duplicate server for testing. Except for the test changes, everything else should be equal. Next, I would convert a handful of your user accounts (on the test server) to maildir (http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/), and run performance comparisions between the two. Some test scripts running fetchmail should suffice for real numbers. Then make both servers available to the handful of test servers for "anecdotal" experiences.

If maildir looks like a good solution for you, don't stop there. Test your hardware. How is the disk performing under load? Would your arrays (if any) be better suited to a different RAID configuration (if any)? Come on, test that server! :)

Mind you, this only addresses the retrieval aspect of the mail experience. You haven't suggested anything to suspect any problems with mail delivery (SMTP), so I have to assume you're only referring to delays in mail viewing, retrieval, etc.

We've started looking at Open-Xchange
(http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/) for groupware
solutions.  The demo is very impressive, and the price can't be beat.

How difficult is the migration? I can't ask them to start all over again.

We haven't migrated anyone, so I can't tell you. If you can't "ask them to start all over again", then why bother looking at alternatives anyway? ;-)

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting