Re: Big Filesystem and Compressed Filesystem?

Kenneth Goodwin wrote:

>> ... kernel couldn't recognize a HW-RAID volume of large
>>   1.6TB size...

You were probably dealing with a  32 bit kernel with 512
byte blocks and signed 32 bit integers
for storing block numbers - maximum filesystem size would be
around a terabyte.
You could obviously pop it up to a larger block size (2048)
to get up to around 4TB, you would still have a 2gb filesize
limit.

Really? Right now with ext3fs on RHAS-2.1 I don't have a 2GB filesize limit I can create 10 or 15GB files without any problems. But I did have the approx. 1TB DEVICE limit. It wasn't a matter of creating a large filesystem, it was a matter of even seeing the device as being that big. Before I could do a mkfs I had to have a device, and the kernel didn't even see the SCSI device.

or upgrade to a 64 bit version of the kernel etc.....

Do you have success experience with 64-bit versions of linux and creating a large disk volume or file-system? I could create a system on an Opteron based system with RHEL 64-bit. That is possible, but I wouldn't want to bother doing that unless I had some hope that it would solve some problems.

In any case, you should take, IMHO, a different tactic here.
You are being too complex in your approach to the problem.
It actually leans more towards a circular ring buffer design
which will be simpler to manage.

Yeah I have already thought about that. I am trying to avoid it. That's why I was asking if anyone had experience doing large FS and also compressed FS's.