Re: RHEL 2.1 compatability question.

On 11/08/04 17:12, Radke, Theresa A wrote:
I've run into the RHEL nightmare and dell systems just recently and have
come up with the following:

1.  If you modify that operating system in any way then you invalidate
your service agreement.

So instead you're choosing to install a totally unsupported operating system? RHL 9 was end-of-lifed quite a while ago.

2.  That operating system has been customized to run the hardware in
your dell, try installing over it and you'll get errors.

3.  you can't find the correct versions of anything to install,
including oracle grid version.

You won't find a supported Oracle for RHL 9 either.

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Shaun T. Erickson
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 2:50 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RHEL 2.1 compatability question.

I have just received a Dell 2650 server with RHEL 2.1 installed. When perusing the web for RPMs, I don't see any for RHEL 2.1. For any RPM that I might want to use, must I only get the SRPM and rebuild it, before I can use it?

You'll find a lot of RPMs for RHEL 2.1 at Dag's archive: http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA