Re: SATA RAID controller recommendations

----- Original Message ----- From: "comcast" <collindavis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Chris" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2004 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: SATA RAID controller recommendations

Chris,

I would highly recommend the Promise FastTrak S150 SX4 - while I've never
used it with RH/Fedora (I've only briefly used those distros at all), I have
that card along with two of the 36.7GB Raptors, and it works top notch in
both SuSE with the Promise provided driver, and with Gentoo. There is a RH
9.0 driver available from Promise for the card, so I can only assume it will
work as well as the SuSE driver. It can be had for under $200 also, which
is nice for all of the features it offers.

Hope my recommendation helps.

Promise and their tech support team is how I discovered 3ware. For the RH9 Distro you have to compile Promise drivers for all but the stock kernel. If you move to a later kernel than initial release you have to compile....in order to compile you are required to sign and fax back a non-disclosure agreement to get access to the source....which is why I went to 3ware....the source is freely available and, from my experience....their support team is sharper. I will never again use Promise...why should I? The prices are similar and the support is better elsewhere. When you upgrade the kernel you always have the risk of recompiling drivers....comes with the territory....

That's my 2 cents.... ymmv

-Eucke