Re: adding IDE Controller to RedHat 9 on i686

Ed Wilts wrote:
On 10/31/04 00:02, Alexander Povolotsky wrote:

I have Linux Red Hat 9 on Pentium III PC (Dell Optiplex 110,  848
Mhz, 128 Mb of memory )running off the 8 Gb Disk Drive; there is also
small boot drive on that IDE controller.

I bought SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller and 80 Gb Western Digital
IDE disk drive - how could I add this new controller with this new
disk drive and make existing Linux recognize this new drive as
additional disk space ?

Many UltraATA controllers appear to Linux as SCSI controllers since that's what the BIOS says. I had a Promise controller once and I had to tell the BIOS to boot off a SCSI disk if I wanted to boot from a disk plugged into the UltraATA controller.

Is SIIG UltraATA 100 PCI Controller supported by RedHat 9 ? If yes, do I need to do something specific

It's probably supported. Plug it in and look in dmesg for /dev/sda devices. Do an fdisk /dev/sda and see if it sees your 80GB drive.

I also was told that tsome motherboards would not support more than
32 Gb drive - how could I check what my motherboard limit is?

Your system should not have this limit. If you're using LILO, you should switch to GRUB though. GRUB is the default for Red Hat Linux 9 so unless you changed it, you should be okay.

That's interesting. When I upgraded to RH7.3 I added a big drive to my ancient Iwill xa-100+ based machine using a Maxtor (rebranded Promise using PDC20267) ATA-100 card and drives showed up as /dev/hde thru /dev/hdh. Worked fine. What DID NOT WORK, however, was my floppy drive. That controller stomped all over it, forcing me to justify a CDRW. Sometimes, you just can't lose for winning! :-)