Re: question.. not sure where to post..!!

While you wouldn't necessairly be able to use the same power supply or ethernet connection, this would not be that hard. I am continuing my education by taking electronics class here at the school. One of the classes is computer interfacing. In this class we use a Parallax Basic Stamp 2 to control various devices. This could be adapted to control two power switches using one button while keeping the switches completly isolated from each other. The other thing that could be done is to place a small ethernet switch or router inside (or outside) the box. Connect both to the switch and then there is only a single connection to make. Lastly, place a two system KVM switch inside (or outside) the box for system installs or troubleshooting. This would give you, at a minimum, the following connections:

1 Keyboard
1 Mouse
1 Video
1 Network
2 Power (1 for each power supply)
Other misc. connections (USB, Firewire, S/Video, Audio, etc)

As for CD/DVD drives and floppies, depending on the OS and hardware you could use USB versions when you need to use them.

Hope this helps.

Nathaniel Hall, GSEC
Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician
Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln@xxxxxxx
417-799-0552

bruce wrote:

good stuff...

i'm basically looking into how to create a really cheap (as in cost) not
quality!! dual mobo blade system. it would be great if i could take two
small mobos, and slam them into a backplane, and share the power supply,
while having separate mem/harddrive.

my ultimate goal is to have a device that i could hang on my network, and
use one side of it as a media player, and the other as a app platform. over
time, i wouldn't need the floppy/cd/keyboard as i'd like to be able to
completly control the device/boards via the ethernet connection...

thanks...

-bruce

-----Original Message----- From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nathaniel Hall Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 7:35 AM To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list Subject: Re: question.. not sure where to post..!!

The blade servers a separate server. I suppose you could cluster them using software, they are actually separate servers. We use Dell blades at the time. The shared chassis has a built in KVM and Gig switch. Each blade that we order has two processors, two gigs of ram, two 145 gig SCSI drives raided together and, through the use of the chassis, two gig nics. A USB 1.1 floppy and CD-ROM is used for installation (not at the same time). 6 blades can fit into each 3 U chassis and each chassis ( on the cheaper end) uses 120 volt power.

HP has a similar product, but the chassis is 6 U and uses 240 volt power
and can usually have 20 blades per enclosure.  The main reason for not
going with HP, other than power, was the hard drive.  Instead of using
normal SCSI drives, the model we looked at used IDE laptop drives.  The
laptop drives spin much slower than other drives, usually 5400 RPMs.

Hope that helped.