rpm upgrade lib problems

I need to install a newer version of an rpm I have installed - db4 to be precise. I need a newer db4 in order to install something else, but which also needs a tweek to db4 so I have to compile it myself.

How is one supposed to update an rpm package with a newer self-compiled version, i.e. no chance to run an rpm upgrade?

If I try to remove the old db4 rpm first it complains about several other packages that require it (or parts of it). Can I just install the newer compiled db4 over the top of the old one? Won't that get a bit messy?

Is there a 'correct' way to move forward in a situation like this?

Ken  G i l l e t t