email issue

I am having a problem with a program that uses sendmail. Sendmail is running on a RHEL ES 3.x box. Anyway, I figured to fix the problem, it would probably be easier (but might not be) if I can have sendmail strip the from address from all incoming email so that it only has the from email address and not the name. For example, If I send a message to the server, it will get my return address as either:
Steve Buehler <steve@xxxxxxxxx>
or
"Steve Buehler" <steve@xxxxxxxxx>

I would like to be able to strip everything except the email address so that it has just steve@xxxxxxxxx as the return address. Does sendmail have a switch in it somewhere that will do this? I couldn't find the answer at sendmail.org, but from past experience, that doesn't mean that it isn't there. I might have been looking in the wrong area or when trying the search engines, I couldn't figure out what key words to use.

Thanks
Steve