Re: [expert] File Dates Modified Issue

Jeff Boyce wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Sparenberg" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "General Red Hat Linux discussion
list" <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [expert] File Dates Modified Issue

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 00:29, Jeff Boyce wrote:

Greetings -

I manage a Dell system Red Hat ES3 server that is primarily used as a

<snip>

Not sure that you can do this.  Since the way Windows operates is that
AFAWIC (as far as windows is concerned) if a file is opened it is
modified.  The act of opening a file is considered a modification.

James

I don't believe that the date/time attribute changed on files when they were only open and not modified when we had a small Unix file server here prior to installing our new Linux system. That is what led me to think that it was a Linux or Samba configuration issue.

Jeff

There appears to be a problem somewhere in the access/modified/creation date system, possibly in Samba. When cpio version 2.5 accesses files over a samba mount, the modify date gets changed. Cpio then complains that the file has been modified while being copied, resulting in reams of error messages per day. It is not simply a Windows problem, as it happens with a SuSE 9.0 system accessing a samba share on a RH 7.3 system. I brought this up on the bug-cpio list, but I don't think it is high on anyone's priority list ...

Regards,
Peter Smith