Re: bad blocks... random death

Last time I installed Fedora C2 (to get a 2.6 kernel - that was about 2 months ago) the system will froze every second day. No error messages - the logs were 'clean'. I had no time to experiment with it so I installed a RedHat9 from scratch. At least you get some errors and not that often.

I would say that the problem is not with RedHat9 or whatever, but with the 2.4.* kernel.

Since there are few of us having this problem, I think it is worth sharing the experience and maybe finding a solution. Most likely, many tried also other discussion lists.

Currently I'm running extensive tests on a machine with 8 IDE HDDs. I changed cables from the flat 80 wires to the round ones (I don't know the name for those) and forced udma2 on all HDDs.

While before I was getting errors mostly on the HDDs using udma5, now only one HDD produced some errors. Noticeable is that this particular HDD is the closest one to the power source.

I guess the problem is somehow electrical (electromagnetic interference???), but likely solvable by the driver.

Next week I plan to build a machine similar with this one, but this time using SATA HDDs. I'm curious if there will be any more errors.

I would like to thank Thierry for keeping this thread alive.

-iulian