Re: combo wireless and wired home network

On 8/6/2004 1:42 PM ... Earth time
Harry Putnam configured a series of 1's and 0's as follows:

Bill McCormick <wpmccormick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

like a straight telnet or ssh text based config if possible.
My current NETGEAR FVP318 is pain in the butt to do with java.
Do you know of any dual style routers with text based interface?

Netopia, Zyxel

Bill, can you describe how a config might work for either or both.

Can one simply telnet/ssh in and edit a text file then reboot.
Or maybe export a text file.  Edit then import.  For example, could
one have several configs on another machine that could be easily
imported and started?

I know both manufacturers have models that allow for telnet. Not sure about ssh. I've no real experience with Zyxel but I do with Netopia. It's basically a text based menu once you connect. I seem to recall something about being able to save/restore configuration from a file. It also had a tftpd that you could get config for when booting. The Netopia (R900? something) was a good little box for < $400 as I recall.

My wireless AP (NG WG302) runs and sshd and runs on an embedded Linux kernel. I've don't know about being able to configure it via text files however. Since it's Linux, anything is possible.

Bill