From: Nathaniel Hall [mailto:halln@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 12:23 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Attempted SSH Logins

Hi all.

I have been monitoring our logs over the past several weeks using logwatch
and have noticed several of these entries (known entries omitted):

sshd:

  Invalid Users:

     Unknown Account: 5 Time(s)

  Authentication Failures:

     test (server.bes1.com ): 2 Time(s)

     root (server.bes1.com ): 3 Time(s)

     unknown (server.bes1.com ): 4 Time(s)

The source addresses vary.  I always see the same accounts from different
addresses with a different number of tries.  When I see these, there is only
one source, never a mix of sources.  The next day, it might be a different
source, but it is the only one.

Is anybody else seeing this in their logs where I shouldn't be as worried or
is this directed at us?

Nathaniel Hall

Intrusion Detection and Firewall Technician

Ozarks Technical Community College -- Office of Computer Networking

halln@xxxxxxx

417-799-0552