Re: imap server comparisons

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Lloyd H. Meinholz wrote:

Excuse my RH ignorance, I've been working mainly with other
distributions the past few years. Why would you care to make your own
RPM from the source tarball instead of just compiling it? Is it ease of
distribution to a farm of IMAP servers or are you just so used to
working with RPM? (just curious...).

Ease of deployment, ease of removal, rpm verification, etc. Heck, it's even easier than compiling from source. Unless you're patching custom, I can't imagine a reason NOT to use the developer-supplied method for compiling the RPM from source.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting