Re: New squirrelmail breaks the nb_NO locale

Roger Aas wrote:
The new squirrelmail RPM for RHEL3AS (squirrelmail-1.4.3-0.e3.1) breaks
the nb_NO locale (Norwegian bokmaal). Selecting that locale in the user
preferences or setting it as the default locale in squirrelmail's config
will only display the en_US locale. The other locales I have tested works,
including nn_NO (Norwegian nynorsk).

But I need the nb_NO locale working ASAP for a student mailserver I am
setting up.

The previous squirrelmail (squirrelmail-1.2.11-1) had a working no_NO
locale (Norwegian), but this is named differently. Maybe that is the
reason why it is broken in the new version?

OK, after sending the same message to Squirrelmail's internationalization (i18n) list I got the answer to this problem. The problem is that glibc don't support nb_NO yet so you have to work around that. I was given two procedures to make it work:

Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
> From 1.4.3rc1 changelog
> -  Norwegian Bokmal translation uses nb_NO.
>
> Option No.1 run 'localedef nb_NO -i no_NO -f ISO-8859-1' without quotes and restart webserver
>
> You will have to rerun that command every time you upgrade glibc until you get glibc version with nb_NO system locale.
>
> Option No.2 revert nb_NO to no_NO.
> a) you have to edit functions/i18n.php
> http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/squirrelmail/squirrelmail/functions/i18n.php?r1=1.129.2.15&r2=1.129.2.16
> b) you have to rename nb_NO directories in help/ and locale/

nb_NO support is now in the CVS tree for glibc so it will come in a future
release. Until then I use option 1 myself.

Regards,
Roger