Re: upgrade firefox question

Actually, you can overwrite an old installation, or create a parallel installation, but upgrades are questionable. Generally, it appears that the tar.gz bundles from Mozilla are complete packages. If you do a parallel install, then you can import old boomarks, etc., which is often a safer way to install.

-Bob

Stephen W wrote:

Using RH 9.0

Downloading Firefoc 0.9 (I am presently using 0.8).

I know that with an RPM I can use the -U to tell the
RPM to Update the existing program.

What happens when I use the *tar.gz file of firefox? Will it automatically simpley UPGRADE? Or Overwrite
existing? Or create a parallell install?

How do I handle such a situation?

Thanks
StephenW