RE: quota

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Ryan Golhar wrote:

I have the same issue, however I just added the -f and run quotacheck
once a week...

Ryan

-----Original Message----- From: redhat-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx To: redhat-list Subject: quota

OK-

Seeing how the RHEnterprise seems to skip this little tid-bit of
info, can someone please fil me in.

I am trying to run quotacheck on /var/spool/mail on a live
system, via cron, as recomended.

Unfortunately this is what happens:

-bash </var/spool> sudo quotacheck -vug /var/spool/mail
quotacheck: Quota for users is enabled on mountpoint
/var/spool/mail so quotacheck might damage the file.
Please turn quotas off or use -f to force checking.

OK, so what is the propoer procedure for checking quotas on a
live system.  I obviously need to check it while the system is
live.and for /var/spool/mail I should probably do it once per
night...

should I just setup a script that does a qutoaoff, quotacheck
-avgu, quotaon?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Well,

I haven't recieved much of an answer from anyone on 3 different lists. I guess noone uses quota that much or they just force it.

Here's what I figured out though, basically write a script that
does this:

quotaoff -a
quotacheck -agum
quotaon -a

running by hand you can add (-v) for verbosity.
the (-m) on the quotacheck is nice, as it does not make the
filesystems read-only while checking. People get angry when they
can't write to their home directory. Even with quotas off the quotacheck remounts the filesystem ro unless you specify -m.

I assume this is the proper way to use quotacheck, despite not
much in the way of documentation for this.  Google shows many
people asking whether -f is bad, but noone has the answer.

Hope this helps somone, or prompts someone with real info to write in.

-Jeff