Re: connect two linux boxes by a crossover cable (Yu Sun)

Yu Sun wrote:
Thank you all for your help!

I understand ssh is superior to telnet. What I actually intended to
know is how to test the "mini" LAN to make sure it works correctly
beyond 'ping'. I re-checked the two '/etc/xinetd/telnet' files on
both hosts, and 'disable' is set to 'NO'. I reboot the both machine.
Telnet is still not working. Neither are ssh, scp, rsh etc. (rsh is
the function I really want, I try to install the mpich to test if I
can run parallel program and get speedup by using two machines
connected by a crossover cable, any suggestions about that is
welcomed too).

On host1, I type:

  % /usr/sbin/telneted.d      ( I am not sure I spell correctly here)

I got some message I remember indicating telnet is already running or
something. Then,

  % /usr/sbin/telneted.d -debug 80
(according to 'man', this is to manually start the server at port 80,
seems running)

on host 2, I type:
% telnet host1 24 again got 'connection refused'

How do you know the Telnet server is running?
On host 1, I type:
% telnet host1 or % ssh host1 It let me login as normal telnet or ssh client, does it mean telnet
or ssh server is runing on host1?

Yu

--- Shiraz Baig <shiraz_baig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When you get a message of "connection refused", it
typically appears when the desired server is not
running on the host machine. In your case, it is
possible that telnet server is not running.

You need to do three things to make telnet work.

1) Install telnet server. (On a workstation,
installation of Linux automatically installs telnet
client. But you have to yourself install telnet
server).

2) Change the value of parameter disable from yes to
no in the file /etc/xinetd/telnet. Note that if you
have not installed telnet server, this file may not be
present in the /etc/xinetd directory.

3) Either reboot or restart xinetd.

Now your telnet should work. Also, as some friends have advised, ssh is more secure
than telnet.
bye
shiraz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Root may have a problem loging in.  Have you tried a regular user?

--
Michael S. Dunsavage