From: Robert Canary <phantom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Dennis James <denniswj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:39:58 -0500

Dennis,

Your defualt setting in the sendmail.cf file prevents sendmial from recieving mail accept on the local machine (127.0.0.1)

DAEMON OPTIONS('Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,Name=mta')dnl

This should be all on one line.  Your email may have truncated it.

The machine which you are sending mail must have a valid FQDN. With junk mail running rampid these days, most properly adminstered MTAs will reject mail from a host which dosen't reverse resolve or dosen't have a proper host lookup. localhost.localdomain is a dummy hostname used for looping on a single machine (or sometimes on a closed network).

Dennis James wrote:
Some time ago I was trying to send root mail to an isp smtp
mail.m.mynet.net.au.
I have succeeded in sending the email when doing a test, but I get the
following error.

553 sorry, your envelope sender domain must exist (#5.7.1)

The domain of the machine is localhost.localdomain.

I want only to be able to send email (to my email address and a work
address) logs to myname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not want to receive mail only send root mail and log files.

Is there a simple way of doing this.

I have had assistance previously which helped a lot.

Regards

Dennis @ Scone