Re: Security Level Configuration stuck on "high"

At 15:49 6/17/2004, Tom Holford wrote:
I can change the settings in the pop-up box to "Medium"
security level, allow incoming WWW and telnet, and select "OK" to save
and close.  But the system settings do not seem to change, and when I
reopen the Security Level Configuration tool, the settings have been
reset to "High" security level.

Is this a bug?

Yes, it's a bug.

The firewall configuration program Red Hat offered for RHL-8.0 did not read the actual configuration, it *always* started with the "High" configuration displayed assuming that this is what most people would want. The program *did* set your firewall to the settings you selected, but it will not *remember* those settings the next time it starts. It basically just takes your order of what you want, but does not have a clue what you already have. Most likely your settings are properly set and do work.

That being said, I hear a lot of people recommend Firestarter as a GUI firewall configuration program, so you may want to try that instead. Alternately, I am a firm believer in Shorewall which is both very easy to use and very powerful. Plus, since it's all set up in simple text configuration files with no GUI and very well-documented, I can modify the firewall config on any of my boxes by simply logging in remotely via SSH.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com