Re: sendmail and "sender domain must exist" error

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

At 07:01 6/17/2004, Timothy Stone wrote:

So while our network provider has DNS records for things like www and the "harrisburgpa.gov" record is out there for querying, but "psyche" and "mail" are only known internally.

Quickest and simplest (and most correct) way is to get your network provider to add an A record pointing to your mailserver's IP address, and also an MX record directing mail for that domain to your mailserver. You do have a public IP address for your mail server, right?

I believe that is my problem. This server is not on the public net here.

It's not a matter of having the network provider adding an MX record, I can have that done quickly (I'm in charge of that), its that if I add an MX record it's not going to point to a mail server, and that is something my network admin won't have/allow, if only for her FUD about Linux.

While "harrisburgpa.gov" has a public zone file, it does not have an MX record or an A record for "mail" or other such name. Only "www" as those servers are the only ones exposed on the public net.

So, how do I turn sendmail into a relay for outgoing mail? Or whatever that is called. :)

Many thanks,
Tim

Cheers,

--

/**
 * Timothy Stone  . www.petmystone.com
 * Harrisburg PA  . javafueled at petmystone.com
 * USA            . coffee fueled macintosh zealot
 *
 * "This Satan's drink [coffee] is so
 *  delicious, we shall cheat Satan and
 *  baptize it."