Re: Updates for a Network Install

On Jun 15, 2004, at 3:33 PM, Ryan Golhar wrote:

I was trying the exact same thing.  If you have one machine configured
properly, there are two ways I know of to do this:

1.  On the RedHat Network Website, you can download a bunch of updates
as a tarball for the machine.

2.  Use up2date and tell it to look in the directory you copied the CDs
into and update the RPMs.  I believe the switches are -d -k <install
directory>

I actually found that I don't rebuild the machines all that often.  In
fact, I haven't rebuilt the machines yet so that download only occurs
once...new CDs come out every so often with the new packages, so I
stopped worrying about it...

Ryan

I'm not sure if I've violated some RH EULA but this is what I did:

1) configure master box with a fresh install using latest RHEL U2 isos
2) configure up2date on master to save rpms when updating, they will be saved in /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm
3) scp those rpms into a directory on the install server- make sure this directory is exported by nfs
4) Profit!! Er... in the %post section of the kickstart generated on your master box add the following lines:
mkdir /mnt/rpms
mount <ip address of nfs server>:/exported/rpms /mnt/rpms
rpm -ivh /mnt/rpms/*.rpm >> /root/jurvupdate.log 2>&1
umount /mnt/rpms

There's a lot more you can do with the %post section of your kickstart file, have fun!

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle