iptables firewall/ftp problem

I have been trying to learn how to use iptables for a firewall on RHEL 3.x and it seems pretty easy. I have one problem though. When it is setup on two systems, I can't ftp. Here are the firewall rules, from and "iptables -L" that are identical on both machines that should allow ftp from anywhere and all ports open on the local network. This is the first rule in the firewall tables.
ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp multiport dports ssh,ftp,ftp-data,http,https,smtp,10000

Ftp will connect, but when I try to do an 'ls' in ftp or ncftp, I get:
NcFTP 3.1.7 (Jan 07, 2004) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
Connecting to 192.168.1.3...
(vsFTPd 1.2.1)
Logging in...
Login successful.
Logged in to 192.168.1.3.
ncftp /home/steve > ls
connect failed: No route to host.
Falling back to PORT instead of PASV mode.
Could not accept a data connection: Connection timed out.
List failed.

I have turned passive mode of and passive mode on and get pretty much the same results either way. I can ftp to either server from another linux box that does NOT have an iptables firewall on it. I have even tried opening both machines up so that anything coming from the internal network of 192.168.1/24 (and 192.168.1.0/24) will allow everything. Still get the same results. The only way that I seem to be able to get it to work at all is if I turn the firewall OFF all together on at least one of the machines. I know there is something that I must be missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve