Vidiot wrote:

From: "Donna Appleget" <donna.appleget@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am having a strange thing happening.  I have some Spanish punctuation
on a web page.  It looks fine within Frontpage but when I go to the site
using the web browser...the symbols are missing.

http://library.chattanoogastate.edu/research/ref3.htm

¡Informe!(Revistas en Español) is what is should look like.

Anyone have an idea what is going on with this?

Thanks!

I'm using I.E. 6.0 at work. When I u

se the default UTF-8 encoding, the n

with the tilde above it doesn't show.  When I change the encoding to Western
European (ISO), it works.  You probably need to check on the charset.
You're set to Western (ISO-8859-1), you probably need to experiment with
other charsets.
Ben

That is all well and good for the person putting the page together.  That won't
help for others viewing the page.

You need to use the HTML special character codes. For example, the n with the
tilde above it is "&ntil
de;". Unfortunately, I do not see one for the upside down exclamation point. You can declare the character set as part of
the doc header that comes before the <HTML> tag (example):

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd";>

Take a look at the HTML spec for this line and declaring the character set
encoding.  You'll find all the info to make your web page HTML compliant at
w3.org.

BTW, just because you declare the character encoding d
oesn't mean that the
browser will read the DOCTYPE tag and use it.

Welcome to the world of trying to create HTML compliant web pages.

MB

-- Donna Appleget Computer Programmer Analyst Augusta R. Kolwyck Library 4501 Amnicola Highway Chattanooga, TN 37406 423-697-2572