RH9 read access of WinXp's NTFS causes XP to shut down

Help!

Just set up my laptop with RH9 and WinXP dual boot to access the NTFS from the Linux side. Now I get an error message on XP telling me that "LSA shell (export version) encountered a problem and needed to close." Then once I'm connected to my ISP, XP shuts down after a couple of minutes. What can I do to stop this? Until I get the Winmodem working with Linux I'm stuck needing WinXp to access the Internet.

Elmer