Bind ip alias

Hello

I've been struggling with this for a while now, and could really do with someone telling be where I've been going wrong.

We have one server with 1 IP. I've made a number of IP aliases which all works fine and dandy. I'm trying to map individual domain names to a ip alias.

For example

$ttl 38400
@ IN SOA mainhost.maindomain.com. root.mainhost.maindomain.com. (
1084742277
10800
3600
604800
38400 )
hosteddomain.com. IN NS ns.maindomain.com.
www.hosteddomain.com. IN A 10.0.0.10
ftp.hosteddomain.com. IN A 10.0.0.10
mail.hosteddomain.com IN A 10.0.0.10
hosteddomain.com. IN A 10.0.0.10

The problem is when I ping or traceroute to hosteddomain.com it gives me the the aliased IP rather than the external one.

How to I get things so to the outside world hosteddomain.com is the real ip and to the server its the aliased one?

The main reason I'm trying to get this working is so I can have an ssl certificate for domains hosted on our webserver

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.10:80>
	ServerName www.hosteddomain.com
..

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.10:443>
	ServerName www.hosteddomain.com
	#Point to ssl cert and such like.
..

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be a great help

Cheers

Mark