Re: mod_perl error: Can't locate object method "boot"

Michael Schwendt wrote:
Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
There are Apache/Log.pm files (not identical) both in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi and in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi. The
file that should be loaded is the one at the latter location. I
have no idea why things have been set up that way, but that's how
it is.

What I did was loading a startup.pl file when starting the server
with the following line:

use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi';

By doing so, that directory was made the first directory in @INC
when running a program under mod_perl, and the correct version of
Apache/Log.pm got loaded.

Well, who put the other version into the site_perl location?

Probably I did. ;-) Actually, before the RPM install, I made an attempt to build mod_perl from source, but it failed since Apache had not been built from source. Then my service provider advised me to always try RPMs at first hand...

Perl is set up, so site installs override vendor installs. Since
the module in the vendor directory is working correctly, get rid of
the one that doesn't work correctly.

Did that. (I moved a bunch of files, which I *believe* originate from the failed installation attempt, to a temporary directory.) After doing so, I could remove the extra line in startup.pl.

Find out where it comes from. Run things like (but not limited to):

rpm -qf /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Log.pm

Thanks for that tip.

Maybe you've installed something from source some time before.

Yep. Even if it failed, some Apache files were obviously copied to the site_perl location.

Thanks for your reply, Michael! You made me realize my stupid mistake.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson