Re: Configuring Sendmail and VSFTPD

Grr the installation didnt work. I can't find a RPM for vsftpd. I kinda found some RPMs but they are found mandrake. Will they do?

Otherwise any idoit-proof instructions for installation of vsftpd or proftpd from scratch?

Ben

From: "Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Configuring Sendmail and VSFTPD
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:41:36 -0600

At 09:37 5/7/2004, you wrote:
Now back to FTP servers. I think I will install vsftpd based really on the speed. I will install it tomorow but I have it downloaded and unpacked.=)

Hmm? Install is just "rpm -Uvh vsftpd-x.xx-x.i386.rpm".

I strongly suggest that you stick to RPM and *NOT* install things from source, which is what "downloaded and unpacked" sounds like. You will save yourself tons of headaches, since all source-installed stuff is not tracked and not updated automatically... it becomes "do-it-yourself" forever. If you don't know of an excellent reason why you *should* compile and install from source, then you shouldn't. Trust me.

Which version of Red Hat Linux are you using? Have you set up "up2date" yet? If so, try simply issuing the command "up2date vsftpd" as root and see what happens. :-)

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com

If you fuck me off then standby, Ben