Re: Computer crashing

Roy Augustine wrote:
with a deafault insatallation there may be lots of processes running in the background, started automatically in the system startup.

list the processes using "ps -ea " and try disabling some not required at the time.

continues disk activity means heavy swap operations.

cheers.....
roy

--- denniswj@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have redhat 9 on my computer and have problems where every four hours, I have
to reboot the computer otherwise it will lock up.When it does lock up there's continued activity withe hard drive.

I do not have any other software only redhat text version no GUI and only use it for VOIP IRLP.Other users of the software have not indicated that there is a problem that may cause the leak.

I have 128 megs RAM 40 GIG hard drive (new) with a 350mhz processor I am told by the
Developers of the VOIP software that the 128 mb ram is far above whats needed to
run software.

Not being a full on linux i can only guess my suspicions.

I suspect that it is a memory leak problem and can anyone suggest a fix for this
problem.

Thanks

Dennis James
Scone
Australia

Start collecting system stats in regular intervals, like every 60 seconds, capture memmory stats, process stats, etc.... Then whent he crash occurs, start looking at the snapshots leading up to the crash.

(tools use would use are sar, iostat, vmstat, strace, truss) Someone of those may be solaris equivalents, I can recall.... btw Dont rely on top for gathering performance metrics.

-keg