Re: Configuring Sendmail and VSFTPD

At 17:53 5/6/2004, you wrote:
first off, wow fast response.=)

Welcome to Linux. <grin>

I want to install cutecast. (http://www.artscore.net/cutecast/). I asked the admin what SMTP server they use for sending email notifications, activation and they said Sendmail.

Sendmail is already configured to accept mail from its same machine (localhost) but not from the outside, so it's a reasonably secure configuration. If you do want to accept mail from the outside, please read my "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" [1] and ask any questions either here or directly. Otherwise, no need to do anything.

[1] http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

Basicly I want to give my friend FTP access to his webarea (runs apache2) so that / in his FTP client would be '/var/www/html/PS' so that he can upload his files and chmod.

I would suggest that the best way is to make a user for your friend, say "joe". Then create a "www" directory in joe's home directory (/home/joe), and create a "virtualhost" in Apache that points to /home/joe/www. That way his website files are in his home directory, where they are easy for him to reach but difficult for others (except Apache). You may need to make sure /home/joe and /home/joe/www have 701 permissions, I'm not sure. vsftpd will automatically chroot the user to his home directory, I think. If not, it's easy to configure but I don't remember how off-hand.

Note that this has the advantage that people usually remember to back up /home but usually not /var... makes your data safer and your users simpler to manage. If you wanted to try a completely different approach, however, you could try just creating a user "psforum" and changing that user's home directory to /var/www/html/PS. Same results, I think, just not as neat.

Post again if you get stuck somewhere.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com