Re: Using PAM for additional SSH/Console authentication

Ed Wilts wrote:

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:29:43PM -0700, Yagi Angrypants wrote:

A while ago I had configured an RH box so that ssh
users had to have their account names entered into a
text file (in addition to the "usual" requirements) in
order to be able to ssh into a machine.

I can't remember how to do this now. I'd like to
configure a box I have now so that ssh and console
users need to have their accounts specificially
entered into additional text files to permit such
access. Can someone point me to a good link that
discusses modifying the PAM configuration to
accomplish this?

The easiest way to do this is via the sshd_config file that forces users
to be members of a group to allow the ssh login. man sshd_config and
search for AllowGroup

yes, that would work quite well, but doesn't deal with local logins. PAM controls everything!!
(well, most things that require authentication, anyway)

Console users are handled via /etc/securetty I think.

/etc/securetty is just a list of terminals that the sytem considers 'secure'.
PAM will not allow root logins on a terminal not listed in that file.
(ie if you want to rescue over a serial console, better make sure that /dev/ttyS0 is listed!)

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCE/RHCX