Re: VMWare and RedHat

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:36:14 -0400, Stamper, Steve wrote:
> I'm looking for experiences (for or against) running multiple/mixed
> RedHat and Windoze as "Guest Operating Systems" in a VMWare server
> environment.

I've some limited experience with VMWare for personal use and if all you want the guest OS to do is act as some sort of server then its great - quite quick but can be quite memory intensive at times - obviously depends what apps you're running on the guest OS.

Some of the probs i came across:

- unable to give access to PCI devices

- accelerated graphics/sound not available (uses VMware virtual devices)

- unable to boot the guest OS partition directly - got a BSOD when i tried with XP

- bit fiddly to uninstall from linux, even with rpms - loads of virtual devices kept appearing (vmware network bridge etc)

Before moving to VMWare i'd look at alternative programs that run under linux - it would probably be less hassle.

HTH
Jeff