RE: RH 9 dual boot problem

At 09:49 4/13/2004, you wrote:
boot from thelinux cd and try to upgrade any kernel package. You should find an option to fiddle with the boot loader for it to give you an option for the dual boot.

Huh? No!

Please post responses AT THE BOTTOM of a post. If you post an answer above a question, people have to read bottom-to-top which is a pain in the ass. Also, please avoid giving answers which are definitively wrong.

________________________________
From: Billy Davis [mailto:bdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mon 4/12/2004 11:36 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RH 9 dual boot problem

I am trying to set up a dual boot RH 9 workstation.  I made the
mistake of loading RH 9 first, and then loading Windows XP.
Now, Windows ALWAYS boots, and I can only get RH to
run by booting from a floppy.  When I installed RH, I set GRUB
up to allow either Windows or RH to be selected, but Windows
must have overwritten the MBR.  Is there an easy way to restore
the RH boot record back into the MBR, other than reloading
RH again??

You are correct, Windows overwrites the MBR without asking. Sorry I do not have the time right now to provide a detailed answer, but at least a general guide:

1. Boot from the Red Hat Linux CD's with "linux rescue" at the boot prompt. Once the rescue disk functionality boots up, you will be able to access your normal Linux partitions by mounting them (I believe you can find them in /mnt/sysimage).

2. Mount the /boot partition, or the / partition if you do not have one.

3. Run "grub-install /dev/hda" (assuming hda is the right drive, of course).

Done.

Please search the Red Hat site or Google for better, more detailed instructions than this... I am in a hurry and there may be something wrong there. Search for "reinstall grub" or something like that. But it *is* an easy process, with no tweaking or kernel hacking necessary.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com