Re: Java Optimization on RHEL

Chris Purcell wrote:
We're about to set up an active/passive cluster on two RHEL ES 3.0
servers.  The servers will host a Java app that is very resource
intensive.  The servers are Compaq ProLiant DL380's with dual P4's and
4GBs of RAM each.

I don't know anything about Java, I just do the system administration
here.  Are there any Java performance tuning tweaks that can be done to
the servers to improve the performance of the servers?

Anybody? If no one knows, is there a better place to ask this question? Maybe on the Sun Java list perhaps?

Thanks,
Chris

Here are some general suggestions I was able to track down.

Size the java heap accordingly. There is a 2GB contiguous memory limit on linux, so try sizing the heap at 1.6gb.
For the hotspot JVM the flags are:
java -server -Xms1600m -Xmx1600m

more advanced options are available if GC is a bottleneck.
First, try AggressiveHeap.
-server -Xms1600m -Xmx1600m -XX:+AggressiveHeap

AggressiveHeap turns on ParallelGC, TLABs and sizes the young generation, along with a few other platform and competitive benchmarking specific flags. The important flags to try are:

-Xmn400m (size young gen. to 1/4 overall heap size to start)

-XX:+UseParallelGC

-XX:+UseTLAB

Cheryl