Re: Integrating Active Directory and Linux DNS servers

At 09:37 3/18/2004, you wrote:
I'm a little rusty with my Microsoft stuff, but I believe that the real
requirment you're looking for is a Dynamic DNS server. [...]
I'm not a DNS guru and I would like to know what Linux/Unix based
solutions offer this feature in a DNS server.

BIND 9 offers this capability in Fedora Core 1, and I think it was already available earlier, in Red Hat Linux 9. Of course, upgrading to a very recent version of BIND on any Linux OS ought to provide the same result.

Generally speaking, I've seen several people set up DHCP to offer dynamic IP addresses and then also dynamically update BIND so that DNS records match the hostnames and IP addresses assigned by DHCP. It definitely does work, although I have not yet managed to find the time to set that up for my home network.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com