Re: CPU Designations

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:26:37 -0800, Krautkramer, John <John.Krautkramer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I realize this is a very basic question but here goes...

What are the CPU designations expressed by:

i286, i386, i486, i586, i686, etc.

I assume the first 2 are Pentium II and Pentium III respectively. What specifically are the others? I have the latest Pentium 4 with hyperthreading. What is that CPU in this naming scheme?

Not sure where yours fits in but Pentium has the same route as pentigon
as in 5 so the pentiums start at i586 but I'm not sure where the split
for 5 to 6 is I suspect yours will come uner i686
the earlier 3 are all derived from 80nnn which is the full number of the chips.
I hope the partial answer helps.
Regards Roger