Stopped booting into X

I had a RH 9 box that booted up into Xwindows on startup. It worked fine for months with only the occasional shutdown for maintenance. Last week we had a power outage and now when it boots up it comes to the text login prompt, then the screen flashes like its trying to go into GUI mode, but it stays black for a few moments then flashes back to the text prompt. If I log in from the console it continues to flash the screen like its trying to start the GUI but never does.
Every other proces on the box is running good, its my backup machine and DNS server. I don't need X but would like to have it back. Anyone have any ideas, and if not how can I get it to stop trying to go into GUI screen mode?

Thanks,
Rich
--
Rich Ransom