Re: SCSI problem - Adaptec AHA-2940UW adapter in Compac Professional Workstation AP200

Pete Nesbitt wrote:

On March 3, 2004 09:33 am, Johnny Smith wrote:

When installing Redhat 9.0 on this box I get these
messages 'initially during Boot Up'

Scsi-ID 1 HP

SCSI Bios'not installed'

I have an HP Scanjet 4P  attached to this box.
and SANE cannot find the scanner

I'm not really conversant with SCSI.. and am not
sure what I have to do next to deal with the
SCSI Bios'not installed'  problem or
exactly what the machine is telling me?

Can someone give some direction?
Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Johnny,
The Adaptec card may not have the bios turned on. IIRC after the system runs post, at the adaptec card info press "ctl-a". That will put you into the cards settings where you can check that the on-card bios is enabled.

Just to add to the confusion. Scanners should work just fine with BIOS-Less SCSI. I've run Epson GT series scanners off Adaptec AV150x cards under Linux frequently in the past. The 150x cards are ISA, and do not have a BIOS. The BIOS is handy for Hard drives/other devices that need to boot, but are not required to get the scanner to work. I honestly don't think this is your problem.

Question is, does RedHat 9 actually SEE the scsi card? To find out, have a look through your boot messages and check whether it picks up the card.

Regards,
Ed.