Re: printing

On 27 Feb 2004, at 21:14, Michael Gargiullo wrote:

Ken,

	Have you been able to print from your RH8 box?   If so just share it
via Samba.

I'm right at the beginning here. Currently there's no printer set up at all, so I cannot print from the RH machine itself, so that's the first step, although to be honest I don't think I need to actually print locally, just share the printer(s) on the network.

I guess the question is would I be better off going with CUPS, or should I stick to LPR?

Snippets from my smb.conf

        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
        printable = yes

There's a good book too if your a windows admin that is moving to linux. I think it's called the Windows administrator's guide to samba or something close to that.

It walks you through setting up shares and printers using webmin, and
swat.

Either way, if you can print from your RH8 machine, your half way there.