ntpd failed to start

Hi everybody,

I am facing a strange behavior with ntpd and need help!!!...
I have defined on my /etc/ntp/step-tickers my internal ntp server.
When I start the ntpd daemon, the message "Synchronizing with time server" appears before the ntpd message and boths are started successfully.

However when I reboot the server the ntp fail to start just on the first message "Synchronizing with time server   [FAILED]", and then the ntpd is not started.
After the boot process  I log on as root and do a "service ntpd start" and everything start to work...
The ntpd was added with the chkconfig command and is started after the network...

Any clue of what could be hapenning ?

Thanks
ifernandes