help needed with kernel build

Hello..

I am in deep trouble and need some help here. I have been trying to
compile a 2.4.20 kernel on a RH9 distro after applying a certain patch,
but I cant get that kernel to boot. I always get the error : 'Warning : No
initial console found. Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init=
option...." . I have tried simply building a clean kernel (without
applying the patch) and I can get that to boot. I have tried applying the
patch, but not choosing the specific option (for which the patch was
meant) during configuration process (with make xconfig) and I can get that
to boot as well. Only when I include the patch option during the config
process, the kernel boot fails. Does that imply a problem with the patch ?

Here is the sequence of steps that I am performing :
1. extract clean kernel tarball in home directory
2. apply patch
3. make mrproper
4. copy oldconfig file into ~/src/linux-2.4.20/
5. make oldconfig choose the option presented by the patch
6. make dep (sometime preceed this by make xconfig and modify config file)
7. make bzImage
8. make modules
9. cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-ph
10.make modules_install
11. cp system.map /boot/system.map-2.4.20-ph
12. /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-xyz.img 2.4.20-xyz
13. edit lilo.conf and run /sbin/lilo.

I guess, the above process is alright, coz it works in all but one case,
where I actually choose that option during make xconfig/oldocnfig

Its not likely that the patch is buggy, coz its part of a research project
at a school and is known to apply against 2.4.20 kernel.It can be found at
http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~soma/pH (May be somebody out there can try
applying it to a 2.4.20 ver on a RH distro and test :) ) Its meant to be a
a kind of a intrusion detection system and can be easily uninstalled.

I have posted my lilo.conf and etc/fstab files here earlier , and could do
that again, if it would help. I would really like to know why this is
happening and how do I toubleshoot it.

Thanks for your time,

Ashish.