Re: install apache 2.0 - source or rpm?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:49:04AM -0500, Andy Firman wrote:
> I am trying to build an apache 2.0.48 rpm for
> RedHat 9 like this:

The first question you need to ask yourself is why you're trying to
build this version.  In many cases that I've seen, new users are
misguided in thinking that they need or want the latest version rather
than concentrating on getting the current version working.

> A more basic question is, what is the preferred way
> to get the latest software into RedHat 9?

The preferred way is to stay at the version that Red Hat provides.
That's one of the values that the distributor provides - to solve
dependency issues.

> Or should I really try hard to stay with the package
> management system?

rpm is very powerful is you use it as it's intended.  If you fight it,
it will hurt you in the end.

So let's back up and start with defining the problem that you're
actually trying to solve, not what you're trying to do.

        .../Ed

p.s. Don't take this is a personal attack - I once too thought that I
always needed the latest release.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx