Re: Email addresses spoofing

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 08:55 am, Tomás García Ferrari wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I found out that somebody is using the e-mail addresses of some of our
>> users / clients to send viruses out there... Specially the Virus named
>> "W32.Mydoom.A@mm".
>>
>> Is there any way to avoid that? The other mail servers doesn't recognize
>> that who claims to be 'user@domain' is spoofing!
>
> I would say this is beyond your control. if other mail client that the
> computer is infected by virus, and the virus spoof the address to spread
> itself, there's nothing you can do here in your server about it. It
> happens
> here too.
> What really annoys me is those mail servers out there with the virus
> detection
> and stuff, and when they detect virus in the mail, they *bounce* it to the
> sender, which most of the time is spoofed. Why bounce it? That is just
> plain
> stupid. Just drop the mail for goodness sake.
>
> RDB
>
> --
> Reuben D. Budiardja
> Department of Physics and Astronomy
> The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN

A property of the latest virus_du_jour is that it grabs a domain name and
sticks on a random user id.  For example, it will use something like
john@xxxxxxxxxx, fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so on.

There is nothing that you can do about this.  It is completely out of your
control.  As Reuben stated the real stupidity results from those misguided
sysadmins who are bouncing these messages to poor innocent folks
(sometimes with the virus attached).

Gerry