Re: Clustering on RHAS?

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 12:42, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> All,
>
> At work, we're currently developing an application that will most probably
> run on JBOSS and MySQL.  Initially it is not expected to have heavy usage,
> and we're spec'ing out a server with a couple of gigs of RAM, a raid-5
> system and a couple of Xeon hyper-threading processors, running on RHAS 3.0.
> However, we anticipate that the demand could skyrocket sometime early next
> year, and want to ensure that we can scale the system.

I've never tried to cluster mysql (never had the need), but a quick
Google of "mysql clustering" reveals a lot.  On the front-end, you can
always get by on the cheap using a project like python director
(http://pythondirector.sourceforge.net/) or balance
(http://www.inlab.de/balance.html).  I'm currently using pydir for load
balancing to a pool of smtp relays, and it works beautifully.  Doesn't
support a lot of the high-end schedulers like those found in commercial
LB products (F5 Big-IP, Cisco Local Director, etc), but works well for
simple load distribution (round-robin, leastconns, etc.).

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting