Re: problem with firewall/dhcp/samba server

Paal Marker wrote:

rh8, installed with shorewall as firewall, dhcp and name server

The box is serving a small network, ISP is giving ip-adress by dhcp. Server has two ethernet cards, eth1 receives ip-adress from ISP, eth0 connects to switch and serve workstations with ip-adress.

I got two problems with this, and I am not sure if these two problems are connected to eachother.

I get this error about a minute after boot: "kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 28, frame# 1335
Service halted, trying to restart". Then this message repeats over and over.

Second error is that the connection to ISP is cutting at random times. Sometimes after 2 or 3 days, sometimes 5 minutes after a reboot. Eth0 that connects the inner network works, but goes very slow. To make a telnet connection to the server takes about 30 seconds, in normal mode it connects immidiately. By commands: ifdown eth0 and ifdown eth1, then ifup eth0 and ifup eth1, restarting the services named and dhcp, everything goes as normal. When problem occure, status for both eth0 and eth1 are active.

Found by googling a suggestion that service apm could make the problem. Disabled the apmd yesterday evening and rebooted, but the message kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt came up anyway.

I have searched /var/log/messages for error message, but has not found any for the time when connection to ISP breaks.

I am very new about shorewall, and have just installed it and using the default settings.

Can anyone please give me a clue where to start solving this?

crucificator wrote:

Do you have any device installed on USB on your server? If not maybe it would be a good thing to prevent the service from starting at boot.
And one more thing Shorewall is not the firewall. He is a front-end of the real firewall - iptables in wich it inserts rules.

Yes, I do have a canon mp700 photosmart, copy, scan and color connected to the usb-port. The device is used by ms-windows boxes in the net through samba. Works perfect in this enviroment. But the access to the printer is not disturbed by the error message "kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt" Only when eth1 goes down, and as mentioned, eth0 slows down, it is not accessible.

The printer is installed in /etc/printcap, and service used is lpd. Would it help to install in cups instead, disable lpd and enable cupsd?