profile read only after login [?]

Hello List...

I have a requirement to startup java with a "-noverify" option.  I've put
this is /etc/profile as a JAVA_OPTS value.

My probem is on system startup, Tomcat starts ok but the classes that need
the -noverify parameter don't work until I login as root, shutdown Tomcat
then start it up again.

It seems that the profile is not read until I've logged in (as root).  If
that's the case, how can I set it up so the -noverify parameter is the
default when java loads?

Tomcat 4.1.27 on Redhat 8.0

I sent this first to the Tomcat list, but there was no reply.  I imagine its more an OS issue.

Thanks for any assistance.

/j-p.