RE: kernel + ntfs

Yes, fortunately or unfortunately unix/linux works that way.  Generally to
make changes to the kernel requires a rebuild.  You probably should read the
installing a new kernel, there is also a readme file in the kernel source.
There is a application called linuxconf which allows you to change some
parameters, but it is not as powerful as it could be.