RE: kernel + ntfs

I thought that was settled a long time ago, to use the same version of the
kernel you change the version in the Makefile to same version of the kernel
you are currently using and build the kernel.  The old kernel will never
have ntfs support so replace it with the build.  If you don't change the
version in the Makefile it will create the version that corresponds to the
version in the Makefile.  The sequence of the makes only matters with the
make clean and make mrproper and make dep, make bzImage, after that it don't
matter the sequence whether you do the make install next or the make
modules, they are doing something different that is not related.