What kind of user authentication / password encryption am I using?

I have managed to inherit a rather broken Linux/Solaris environment, and am
trying to determine a few things.

First, where do I look on a Linux machine to determine what type of password
encryption it is using?

Secondly, I am hoping to make the NIS environment on the Linux side be the
NIS environment for all Linux *and* Solaris machines. I am having some
trouble doing this, however, and suspect the password encryption method
may be mismatched between the two types of systems. For example, root ssh
does not work between Linux and Solaris (and please, no comments about
how insecure this might be, allowing remote root logins, even by ssh --
not my call here).

Comments? Suggestions?

Tnx,