Linux NIS and mixed Linux / Solaris environments

I am attempting to get a very broken mixed computing environment working again.
I have an environment of mostly Linux machines (Red Hat V7 and V8), Solaris 9,
and some Windows clients.

Ultimately, I am looking for the best method of centralized database management
of things like user authentication and various info map distribution (e.g.
NFS automount maps and others), which I believe will end up being LDAP, but
in the meantime, I am working with a rather broken collection of files in
/etc, NIS, and BIND/DNS.

The NIS component, which is serving right now essentially for user login
authentication, is rather broken. There are two major issues I have with it:

- When I cd into /var/yp and perform a "make", the maps don't automatically
get placed in the <nisdomainname> subdirectory. I have to manually move
them there, which I find odd. Why?

- More importantly, however, nowadays I get a hang condition when I type
"make", which I believe is caused because somehow the communication
between the NIS master, on which I am running the "make" command and
its only slave is broken. I'd like to disable slave updates, but so
far, I haven't found a place in the online docs that explains how to
undo an existing slave. How to do this?

I am used to the Solaris NIS environment, which for the most part, just
plain "works"...

tnx,